lauantai 24. tammikuuta 2015

Day 2 - Pavlov worked in advertising

It's Saturday.
This thing doesn't go away. I pondered it over last night, into the wee hours, as the child woke up to scream quite regularly. Woke up and felt horrible - too horrible for three glasses of port. But it was only 3 a.m. My condition had significantly improved seven hours later.

I blame Pavlov for my predicament with the poster. The poster advertising the bakery program.

I also blame Pavlov for my problem with the boys smoking electronic cigarettes.

If I am correct in my understanding this blame will have a limited effect, as the person in question is no longer here to make appropriate corrections. Although I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. One should not be expected to change unpleasant results if they are, indeed, true. It would make flying much easier if we could force Newton to change his theory on gravity, but alas, it would not change the reality. The reality is not interested in our views.

The priests pray and pray, but God is not bound to obey.

The atheists pray and pray, but God is not bound to obey.

So perhaps I am wrong in stating that Pavlov is to blame. Rather it is the phenomenon described by him, that is to blame. His dogs are to blame. No, even that is wrong, even if it would nicely support my dislike of dogs. And yet my personal dislikes should not affect how I view the objective reality. So even the dogs are relieved of blame, though I still dislike them.

At this point I find it imperative to make another clarification. Yesterday I wrote that habit is the logic of life. In the end I said that the poster, the smokers and the workaholics do not have a point in what they do. I was wrong to say that. I apologize. (Please note that I am not apologizing for my statement because it was inconvenient. I'm apologizing for it because it was untrue.) Yes, there is a point, and that's why I spent so much time thinking of Pavlov. What I was meant to write was that the original point, the one that was created as a result of old habits working according to the laws of causality and the rules of logic (logic and the logic of life, therefore, are not the same thing), no longer applies. We have developed habits that have no direct, logical, causational link to the original point.

We have not made plans or devised stratagems. We have not thought things through.

We have just acquired habits.

The minus degrees have dropped in half outside. Good. We have two parties to attend tonight.

That's why I didn't reach my original point.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Drop a line. I dare you.